What is Pundits?
Pundits is an on-demand homework help app for school students. "Tutoring on Your iPhone or iPad" ( www.getpundits.com)
KEY PROJECT GOAL
The goal of this project was to improve the mobile app experience to increase repeat traffic, and conversion rate.
The team: User Researcher (me), UX Designer (me), Project manager, Visual Designer, Lead Engineer.
• Experience design
• Visual Design
Timeline: 10 weeks.
Understand "Digital Natives"
Technology is increasingly becoming an essential part of our lives, and many young people – often referred to as ‘digital natives’ – haven’t known it any other way. And their interaction with digital devices is different from adults of older generations. I decided to know more about young people specific features in web and digital technologies using.
Discoveries about Teenagers
• Teenagers use the internet from many devices in various environments
• Teens spend endless time texting
• Teens are goal-oriented and don’t surf the web aimlessly
• Even when teens don’t make actual purchases on websites, they do visit them to research products and build wish lists for the credit-card-carrying adults in their lives
• Teens do make mistakes and often give up quickly
• Fast-moving teens usually get to lower success
• Teens use more than one social networks and Social Aspects is very important for them
• Teenagers don’t like to read a lot on the web
• Illustrated concepts visually were strongly preferred to sites with dense text
• Teenagers dislike tiny font sizes as much as adults do
• Teens detest sites that appear cluttered and contain pointless multimedia
• The best online experiences for teens are those that teach them something new or keep them focused on a goal
• A slow-loading website is a deal-breaker
• Don’t Talk Down to Teens
Important Add about Teens
Young people aged from 5 to 17 years spend, on average, just over 2 hours per day on screen-based activity but they perform worse than adults for three reasons:
• Insufficient reading skills
• Less sophisticated research strategies
• Dramatically lower levels of patience
Market research was then followed by competitive analysis, in which I identified potential competitors to Pundits and took stock of the features they offered and evaluated their strengths and weaknesses.
Competitive Analysis Takeaway
• A section or screens explaining how the app works are essential and cannot be missing. Easy communication with the user can help with navigation and understanding the app (multiple ways to give clues, such as dialogs, popups, tooltips, onboarding tutorial).
• Habitual screen layout for users is a very intuitive and familiar process of using the app.
• Most of the competitive apps don't give the user the possibility to play around and lead users to the main task directly from the first screen.
• 3 of 5 competitive apps provide the possibility to check information about tutors and schedule the appointment with them.
• Prominent color and modern attractive UI can help with attention to screen elements hierarchy.
I then moved forward to the primary research stage, which consisted of 1:1 user interviews.
The goal was to understand users’ experience with the homework and to understand the adults (parents) motivation to pay for the kid's tutoring.
Number of Participants: 5 teenagers (age 13 - 17) + 5 adults (parents: all of them have 1 - 3 kids age 12 - 17)
Teens Interview Takeaway
Parents Interview Takeaway
Having synthesized my primary research, I was then prepared to develop a primary persona who would be representative of my target user. In addition to the behavior gathered from the secondary research.